Re: pronation???

: I am starting a running program, and I'm a little apprehensive about it b/c I started this last year and developed knee problems on the outsides of my knees. I have asked around at what the problem could be and have been introduced to the term 'pronation'. I have noticed that all of my shoes wear on the outsides of my heels. What pronation does this mean? I don't have a high or no arch, so I think I'm pretty normal in that area. Any advice or clarification would be great. Thanks!

Pronation is a medical term simply meaning "rotating a limb to the center of the body". Rotating away from the center of the body is called supination. What you have (and I do it also) is called underpronation or else just being a supinator.The heel strikes and then, instead of the foot rotating and taking the weight down the center of your foot like normal people, the weight strikes down the outside edge of the feet.
This causes me to have to buy athletic shoes every 6 months or so, because my legs eventually stand bow-legged due to the outside wear. Not comfortable- my outside knee tendons hurt, my shin and I'm prone to sore heels (plantar fascitis.)I have heard you can get rotating orthotic inserts for your shoes to help a little from a podiatrist.

Posted By Mary A. on July 14, 2001 at 17:21:25:

In Reply to: pronation??? posted by erin on March 07, 2001 at 16:25:56:

An area of softer silicone is incoporated on the medial side of the cushion, the area most sensitive to plantar faciitis pain. Sold in pairs.


[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Pedorthist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Pedorthist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Pedorthist (Foot and shoe specialists)
Ask the Physical Therapist - Athletic Trainer
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)